Monday, December 6, 2010

Veil dilemma

I hate veils. There, I said it! It's so old fashioned! Well, hate is a strong word, so maybe I don't hate veils, but I certainly don't like them. Especially the shorter versions. I'm all about extremes - you know, the black or white type of person, which has been challenging at times because as we all know.... the world is not black OR white! So I'm working on that.... But anyhoo, back to the veils. So I either demand a cathedral length veil, or no veil at all. I can agree that a looong, light, veil floating in the wind might be pretty, but then it's the way it's attached to the bride's hair that I dislike. I mean, c'mon, having a tulle cream puff on the top of your head isn't exactly my vision of beautiful! But hey, that's just me. So I've known forever that I would not wear a veil. Ever! That was until....

I met the lace-edged veil (aka Mantilla veil - although a real Spanish mantilla veil is not really wedding related, see its origin here, and here if you understand espaƱol). I was completely enchanted by this piece of tulle with the gorgeous lace (I think that since having found my lace wedding dress, I just adore everything with lace! I'm just that lame!).

Image source: top left: ; top right: A Jenerek Life via Marcellas Bidal; lower left and right: Jewish"Bridezilla" Gal.

Now I really love how the lace frames the face with the setting in the pictures above, but I also think that it goes best on either let down, wavy hair, or a high updo. I am still debating on my hairdo for the big day, but I am rather thinking of a lower updo, and would then probably better opt for alternative veil attachments:

Image source: left: ; right: blogging jenny; left: The Knot - I wouldn't use the blusher veil though. Both pictures via Wedding Obsession.

But here are two examples of my all time favorite combo (especially with the fascinator!):

Image source: Left: Leigh Miller via Elizabeth Ann Designs; Right.

I have then searched the web to find such veils and my first stop was the ever best shop for wedding accessories: Etsy (more on my love for Etsy later!). They did have several great possibilities at VERY reasonable prices, but I wasn't *thrilled* just yet. Instead, I was falling in love with birdcage veils and fascinators! Here are a few examples:

These goodies from Etsy seller Portobello. Images courtesy of Portobello.

By Etsy seller Marisol Aparicio. Images courtesy of Marisolaparicio.



These beauties are made by Etsy seller Percy Handmade, see more of her things here. Images courtesy of Percy Handmade.

This is also a favorite; sold on Etsy by Nyjole Jewellery. Images courtesy of Nyjole Jewellery.


And this one; sold on Etsy by Peacock Pixys. Images courtesy of Peacock Pixys.

Ehh, yeah, I LOVE Etsy!

Oh but I should mention that I have found THE place to buy a mantilla veil if you're living in Copenhagen or nearby: Silkehuset! They have several different ones to choose from, all authentic Chantilly lace veils made to order at, what I think, an extremely fair price. Here are the 2 I'm considering:

Images courtesy of Silkehuset. See other veil models from Silkehuset here! They are really nice and helpful, so I can only recommend that you contact them to hear about all the options :)

I'm still indecisive of what to choose. Veil or no veil? Birdcage or Mantilla cathedral length? Did I mention that I'm kind of extreme?
I must admit that considering the theme of our wedding and my lacey dress, no veil option or the birdcage one would fit the very best. However, this is (hopefully) my only chance ever to wear a Mantilla veil, so I'm still considering what would work without overkill.

How do you choose from all the available options?

No comments:

Post a Comment